The rise of smartphones along with an ever-present Wi-Fi connection has paved the way for smart appliances. Now it is no longer uncommon to see smart TVs, smart refrigerators, and even smart ceiling fans. That’s right! Even the ceiling fan, one of the simplest and most basic home appliances, has taken an upgrade.
In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about choosing a smart ceiling fan for your home.
What is a smart ceiling fan?
Before we look at some guidelines on choosing a smart ceiling fan, let us first discuss what a smart ceiling fan is and how it differs from the ordinary ceiling fans we are accustomed with.
Basically, a smart ceiling fan is a ceiling fan connected to a Wi-Fi network. Due to its Wi-Fi capability, instead of having a remote control or a wall-mounted switch, a smart ceiling fan can be operated via a mobile app interface. Other smart ceiling fan models (usually the more expensive ones) can also be operated via voice command using virtual assistants like Alexa, Siri, and Google Assistant.
The controls and the Wi-Fi capability aside, however, smart ceiling fans have similar mechanisms to traditional ceiling fans. That said, they also come in a variety of make, model, and price range, depending on the manufacturer.
What are the advantages of having a smart ceiling fan?
Before you ask what to look for in a smart ceiling fan, you should first ask yourself if you actually need one. Of course, there are no right or wrong answers as the answer depends on your needs and lifestyle. To help you decide whether or not you should buy a smart ceiling fan, here are some of the benefits of a ceiling fan:
- Since a smart ceiling fan is connected to the Wi-Fi network, you can control from anywhere in the house.
- You can configure a smart ceiling fan to work with other devices in the home network, including the thermostat and air conditioner, for better indoor climate control.
- You can save on your energy bill by setting the smart ceiling fan to automatically turn on or off depending on the detected temperature.
- If you are constantly out of the house, you can create schedules to make sure that your house has the perfect temperature when you get home.
Aside from the foregoing advantages, you might also find smart ceiling fans to be particularly beneficial in nurseries or children’s rooms or when you are relaxing in your massage chair you can turn on the ceiling fan with your phone. It is also a good investment for individuals who have mobility restrictions.
What should you consider when choosing a smart ceiling fan?
If you think a smart ceiling fan is a good investment for your home, then it is important to know how to choose which smart ceiling fan to buy. Here are some factors you should consider:
- As with traditional ceiling fans, smart ceiling fans also come in different price points. More features usually mean a higher price tag, so determine which features are important to you when looking for a model that fits your budget.
- Compatibility with other devices. If you intend to integrate the smart ceiling fan in your home appliance network, then it is important to check the fan’s device compatibility. This is especially the case if you intend to configure your smart ceiling fan so that it works in conjunction with your air-conditioning unit and/or thermostat. Device compatibility is also a factor if you want to operate the smart ceiling fan using a virtual assistant.
- Energy efficiency. One of the perks of having a smart ceiling fan is that you can configure it to automatically turn on and off depending on the time, temperature, and other indoor climate conditions. That said, it is best to choose a model which is specifically built to be energy-efficient.
- Regardless of the mode of control, a ceiling fan is still a ceiling fan and it is bound to be used frequently. To get your money’s worth, make sure to buy a smart ceiling fan that will last you a long time.
- Warranty and repair. Top-notch hardware does not automatically translate to good purchase when it comes to appliances. Make sure to check the warranty policy and, if possible, find a model with parts that can be easily replaced should repair be necessary in the future.
Smart ceiling fans may be “smart” but choosing the right one for your needs does not have to be rocket science. As long as you follow these guidelines, you will have no problem finding the perfect smart ceiling fan for your home.